A small private jet crashed into a motorbike and a car while attempting to land at an airport in the Malaysian state of Selangor, leaving at least 10 people dead, officials said on Thursday (August 17, 2023).
A Beechcraft Model 390 (Premier 1) aircraft, a light private business jet, was carrying six passengers and two crew when it crashed near Elmina township at 2.08 p.m. (0608 GMT), just before it was due to land, Selangor police chief Hussein Omar Khan told reporters.
At least 10 people, including a Pahang state assemblyman, and two motorist.
In videos of the incident that have been viewed by hundreds of thousands on social media, thick smoke can be seen billowing from charred patches on the road near the township of Elmina in Shah Alam.

The 10 who died in the crash comprised eight aboard the plane and two motorists – the driver of a car and a motorcyclist – who were hit by the crashing plane, the police said.
The Transport Ministry confirmed that one of the victims was Pahang state assemblyman Johari Harun, 54, who was fielded as a new Barisan Nasional candidate in the 2022 general election. He won the Pelangai state seat in the Bentong parliamentary constituency.
Videos shared on social media showed images of bodies on fire on a street that police have identified as near the Guthrie Highway and close to Central Park in the Elmina Valley residential area. Vehicle parts were also seen strewn across the ground.

Witnesses who spoke to Malaysian media said they felt helpless upon seeing the motorcyclist on fire and screaming.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) confirmed that the crashed plane is a Beechcraft 390 registered under the number N28JV.
It was operated by Jet Valet, an exclusive private flight service, and had departed Langkawi at 2.08pm en route to Subang airport, less than 10km away from the site of the crash.
Subang airport’s air traffic control observed smoke originating from the Elmina crash site at around 2.50pm, but no distress call was made by the aircraft, said Captain Norazman Mahmud, the CAAM’s chief executive officer.
The plane was carrying six passengers and two crew members, he added.
He said the aircraft made first contact with Subang Air Traffic Control Tower at 2.47 p.m. and landing clearance was given at 2.48 p.m.
“At 2.51 p.m., the Subang Air Traffic Control Tower observed smoke originating from the crash site but no mayday call was made by the aircraft,” he said in a statement.
It was preparing to land and had been given clearance by air traffic control, said Selangor police chief Hussein Omar Khan, adding that the jet lost contact with the control tower two minutes before touchdown.
The fire and rescue department managed to put out the fire in 10 minutes, he added.
Police said they are still investigating the crash.
Jet Valet pledged full cooperation with the investigation.
Malaysia’s King, Sultan Abdullah Ahmad Shah, visited the crash site at around 5.30pm.
Malaysian Transport Minister Anthony Loke held a press conference at Subang airport on Thursday evening to address questions about the crash. “The mission to recover the black box is under way,” he said.
He revealed the identities of the eight victims aboard the plane, and said the authorities are working on identifying the two motorists through a forensic process.

This is the second time a plane has crashed at the same site.
In September 1977, a Japan Airlines plane that departed Hong Kong and headed for Subang struck a hill during a thunderstorm and crashed at the Elmina Estate, which was then a rubber plantation.
The accident killed 34 of the 79 people aboard. – ST/Agency






Leave a Reply